Honey Apple ‘Crisps’
04/01/2013 § Leave a comment
An apple a day keeps the doctor away! But let’s be honest, on their own, they are pretty boring. My honey apple crisps are my girlfriends favourite. She can’t get enough of them, and neither can I. After trying these simple but tasty little crisps, the doctor won’t be bothering you anymore.. but the dentist might pay you a visit if you gobble down too many, believe me, they ARE that tasty.
- 1 apple makes around 15-20 crisps depending on your knife skills.
- 1 teaspoon honey per apple
- sugar to dust (optional)
- First thing, pre heat your oven to 140C. Grab your apple(s) and slice as thin as you possibly can. I do suggest a mandolin for this, as it creates wafer thin slices that crisp up beautifully but be careful, they are SHARP! Don’t worry if you don’t have one though, they work fine when hand cut.
- Lay the slices on a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper. Make sure none of them overlap each other. Heat the honey over a low heat until runny. Luckily I am blessed to have a local honey supplier, which in turn makes these that little bit more magical.
- ‘Paint’ your slices with the runny honey with a pastry brush, don’t worry if you don’t have one of these either, just drizzle over with a teaspoon, making sure not to over do it, as this will make the slices too ‘soggy’ and they wont crisp up.
- Pop them in the oven and wait.. around 20-30 minutes should do, depending on the thickness. Take them out when they are just starting to go slightly brown. If you are worried about them burning you can turn your oven down, if anything this will just make them more crispy, but I don’t want to wait too long for them! Place them on a cooling rack to rid any left over moisture, about 5 minutes should do.
- After they have cooled, sprinkle with sugar. Try adding some cinnamon to your sugar for a different twist. Of course you can skip this part, whatever you want to do, they will still be yummy! You can try whatever you fancy, they really are versatile, well, don’t put salt and vinegar on them..
- There you have it! My apple crisps. Keep them in an airtight container and they will last a couple of days.
Comment below, would be great to hear if you tried this. Any questions I would be happy to answer them.