My ’empty’ Fridge
14/01/2013 § Leave a comment
‘Empty fridge’, I thought to myself. I was hungry, cold, tired and to top it off I had ‘no food’ in the house. I sat down and contemplated braving the cold weather to go and get some food or waiting it out until I HAD to leave the house to go to work, and grabbing something on the way, ‘kill two birds with one stone’ and all that. I tried to wait it out seeing as the weather wasn’t exactly appealing but I couldn’t enjoy my time relaxing whilst I was hungry now could I?
I looked through my fridge once more and to my delight, found a pack of chicken thigh fillets. Lovely, it was a start I guess. I decided to start browning these off and to see where my mind took me. Adding a few onions, some paprika, cayenne pepper, a little chicken stock, I was onto something good here! The final dish was a beautiful and rich tomato and chicken curry affair, which I happily munched down with a few flat breads, homemade of course!
- 6 chicken thigh fillets (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 330ml chopped tomatoes (around a tin)
- 100ml Crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- half a teaspoon cayenne pepper
- handful of chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- First off in a large pan, brown the chicken pieces until slightly browned, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the onions and garlic until soft, around 5 minutes should do.
- Add the spices, ginger and season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring so the spices don’t burn.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the warm chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes add the Crème fraîche and continue to cook for another 15 minutes on a low heat.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle chopped coriander on top and enjoy, even better with some cardamom flat breads! *https://everythingfoody.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/cardamom/