Quick Chorizo Carbonara
29/01/2013 § Leave a comment
Busy busy busy. These past few days have been a little crazy, but I enjoy it. It pushes me to find dishes that are not only quick and stress free, but that are also full of flavour. At a time like this, who better to turn too for inspiration than the king of 15 minute meals himself, Jamie Oliver.
I love Jamie Oliver, he is an incredibly talented chef who creates fast, full flavoured meals, that are healthy, colourful and inspiring. His range of skill is vast and he is always promoting new and exciting ingredients.
I first saw kaffir lime leaves on his program, which are quickly becoming a fascination of mine…
Anyway, back to the topic on hand, I’m busy. I needed something full of fuel to keep me going so I decided on pasta. Now I know what your thinking,
“another pasta recipe, I have seen enough of these!”
Well this ones different! Full of flavour and focused on the key ingredients. Its creamy, spicy and delicious. Oh, have a mentioned its packed full of chorizo?! If I haven’t got your attention now, I fear there is no hope… this is my chorizo carbonara!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 400g penne
- 100g chorizo
- 1 red chilli
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of half lemon
- 45g finely grated cheese (a mild cheddar or pecorino romano, manchego etc)
- First thing, put the pasta on. In a large saucepan, boil the pasta in salted water according to packet instructions. Whilst that is cooking, let’s get started on the sauce!
- Cut your chorizo into nice slices, about 4mm thick. Make sure you remove the casing if it is not edible, you don’t want plastic in your pasta now huh?
- Finely chop the rosemary and garlic until minced, add all three to a frying pan with a dash of olive oil and cook for 4 minutes on a medium heat, until the oil has turned a deep red colour and smells of paprika.
- As that is cooking whisk the egg, yoghurt, lemon juice and zest together. If it is too thick add a little of the starchy water from the pasta until it looks like thick cream. Put to one side.
- After the pasta is cooked add it to the pan with the chorizo and coat in the fragrant oil and spices. Add the sauce and give it a good stir on a low heat for about 1-2 minutes. Serve up and top with chopped parsley and chives, yummy!
I had mine with a lovely garlic ciabatta. Would be great to hear what you guys think of this. I would love to hear if you made it and what you thought about it. Thanks for reading!