Milk and Two Sugars
14/03/2013 § Leave a comment
Now, I have 3 big loves in my life. That’s food, my beautiful girlfriend and good coffee. So you can imagine that when they all come together I am a very happy man. I had the pleasure of having a rather spontaneous coffee morning with my beloved a few days ago, but the problem was that there was no cake! That’s just not right is it folks? Coffee morning without cake?
Now the problem was I had no eggs at the time and really didn’t want to go to the shops to buy some, I was feeling very lazy OK! So I set myself the challenge of cooking a cake that was pleasant to eat, but one that also didn’t have any eggs. I have heard of recipes that didn’t use eggs but I had never tried one for myself so it was completely new ground. I found a few recipes to follow but some called for things I didn’t have and so forth so I decided to make one up. Living on the edge right 😉
I had a fair few apples on the side that were asking to be used so went upon making them into a puree as a starting point for a cake. After throwing flour, sugar and spices all over the place like a mad food scientist I had created something that looked like cake batter! Success so far.
After placing it in the oven and anxiously waiting for the finished product I removed from the oven, what seemed to be a very nice looking cake! Me and the Mrs were feeling very proud at this point! We carefully removed the cake and let it cool on the side for a few minutes. I won’t lie, I did nibble a corner to see what it was like. Tasting good so far!
After it had cooled fully, I cut myself a nice wedge, poured myself an espresso and sat down to enjoy my three favourite things. The cake was beautifully moist, it had risen a fair bit considering that I had not used any eggs in the recipe and was packed full of flavour! I was very proud of the result and wanted to share the recipe with you guys! This is perfect for a light snack before lunch and with a nice coffee. Very sweet, moist and rich. Yum!
- 350g peeled apple chunks
- 180g sugar
- 280g flour
- 1 and a half teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- quarter of a nutmeg, ground
- 80ml olive oil (NOT extra virgin)
- 35ml golden syrup
- 2 cloves
- pinch of salt
- First of all, place the apple chunks into a large pan, cover with water and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the 2 cloves. Bring to the boil then turn down and simmer until soft, around 15 minutes should do.
- After they have cooked, drain and place in a large bowl with the 180g sugar and mash with a potato masher. If you don’t have one just use a fork until they are mashed into very small pieces, almost like an apple sauce.
- Add the golden syrup and olive oil to the apples and mix well until combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, remaining cinnamon, baking powder and salt together.
- Pour the apple mixture into the flour and fold together until combined, making sure to reach the bottom of the bowl.
- Place in a suitable cake tin that has been buttered and floured and place in the oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Serve with a tea, coffee or just with a big dollop of vanilla cream.
Of course, if you don’t want to use olive oil use non flavoured by all means, I just love the light floral flavours it brings to the cake. You could add raisins to the mixture, or chopped nuts. Would love to hear from you guys of any recipes using no eggs, it’s completely new to me and I am very interested!