07/01/2013 § 5 Comments
Breakfast time! Too often I reach for the box of cereal on the shelf, or make myself some toast. But if I have a spare 15 minutes in the morning, I treat myself to these quick and easy drop scones.
“What are drop scones?” you ask. Mini pancakes basically.. light, puffy and covered in a plum syrup. What’s not to love about them? So, let’s get started.
- 100g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 25g butter (unsalted)
- 3 plums
- Start by cutting the plums in half and removing the stone with a spoon, then cut the halves in two once more. Place the plums skin side up in a heavy bottom saucepan on a low/medium heat and cover with 50ml of water and 50g sugar. Or enough to cover them halfway, making sure that the sugar and water is half and half. This is known as a simple sugar syrup.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl sift together your flour, baking powder and remaining 10g of sugar.
- Mix together your egg and milk and add to the flour slowly, mixing with a whisk or fork making a nice smooth batter.
- In a frying pan over a medium heat add a little oil. Drop your batter into the pan with either a large spoon or small ladle. You want to aim for them to be around 10cm wide.
- Wait until small bubbles appear through the batter and the drop scone is nicely browned on one side. This usually takes around a minute to a minute and a half. A palette knife is perfect for checking the underneath.
- Flip them over and cook for a further half a minute or so. By the time you have cooked all of the batter (should make around 12 drop scones) the plums should be nicely soft and the syrup should be thick and bright pink.
- Place your scones on the plate, top with some of the plums and cover with the syrup!
You can top this with anything you fancy. Maple syrup, ice cream, cinnamon sugar, cream, fresh fruit. Or for an even bigger fruit hit, add grated apple to the batter and cook as normal. As always, it would be great to hear from you, comment below. What did you add to your scones?